Sunday, June 22, 2008

Chapter 8: Apology

Imagine that you attended an award banquet and sat next to the award recipient. Excitement and conversations were plenty in the room. Everything was wonderful until you spilled a cup of coffee on that person's exposed foot. Consequently that person was likely burned and now must clean the shoe and foot.

This was a self-presentational predicament that I was in, and luckily the person addressed the problem gracefully, saying that the coffee was not hot. I apologized profusely, though it was a perfunctory apology (a little brief expression of regret, since I did not want to make a scene either). There was no excuse or justification required for my action. It was really just an accident.

This was a situational predicament to me, and now I have learned that it is also a self-presentational predicament.

No comments: