Monday, June 16, 2008

Web Lec 3: Naked Exterior

Self-disclosing involves peeling away layers of the self. The onion analogy is used. How many layers are there in the onion from the market: the couple of thick orange exterior layers, an orange with white layer, the thinning layers, and the slippery core. Disclosing information may gain social support, affirmations, and agreements from others. On the other hand, disclosing can lead to being rejected, humiliated, and being left uncomfortable. It seems that the decision to disclose may be easier for some people, and yet this sort of decision is complex and difficult to decipher. I am most comfortable with keeping the thick exterior layer on and with some earthy soil (strategic self-preservation) smeared on the exterior, too. Sometimes I take the risk and can remove these exterior layers, but I do feel naked exposing the "inner self" and setting myself up to being vulnerable and being taken advantage of (i.e. meeting a coworker you think is your friend, but who is just digging for information to help themselves).

3 comments:

Rock N Roll said...

When you mentioned the onion analogy I knew it had to do something with the social penetration theory. I remember learning about the social penetration theory in COMM 101. The outside layers of the onion are just basic biographical data about the person then it goes into preferences in clothes, food, and music, and then maybe the person’s goals and aspirations. As you get closer inside, the “inner layers” represent the concept of self.

I must say I am also most comfortable with keeping the exterior layer on. Sometimes it is hard to let others know about your “inner layers.”

Aleks said...

Its funny how some things are personal, but they are easy to share, and then others, I could never tell anyone.

I found that with myself, I have a really hard time telling people something I've never told anyone. But once I have told someone, it is easy for me to tell more. It's like I just need to take a step in the door, and the rest is easy.

-Aleks

boyd013 said...

I like the onion analogy as well. It is a little weird to compare ourselves to food but it is true. We all tend to have a thicker layer of beauty on the top of ourselves and then it tend to thin out and become less rough the further you go. We like to look good with our commodities (clothes, cell phones, etc.) as we all tend to do. But what people do not see is that most people have a different inside than what is just shown on the outside.