Saturday, July 5, 2008

Chapter 15: Turning Points

The text described the mother-daughter relationship where during the "teen rebellion" phase, the bond decrease substantially and then increase dramatically when the daughter becomes engaged, married, or a mother. This concept was relevant to me because I found that there were communication conflicts between mother-daughter for me from the teenage year up to when I became engaged. However, I wonder if this experience would have been different for a teenager in another country who at an early age learns how to do house chores, to cooking, and to do crafts from their mother during the teenage phase (extra bonding period).

Interestingly, a person's engagement/marriage also can produce a relationship change. If the parents accepted the dating partner, the engagement increased closeness; if no, there was a decrease in closeness. For me, the relationship with my parents did not change. However, the relationship with my in-laws changed dramatically, 360 degrees, and within minutes of finding out about the engagement. The concept of different effects on relationships (in families) as results of turning points was very relevant for me.

No comments: