Friday, July 4, 2008

Web Lec 5: Culture and Conflict

Within individualistic and collectivistic cultures, there are self-construals that better determine what conflict style a person will use, despite ethnicity or sex. In other words, their unique person will determine what they will do, and their actions are not pre-determined by what culture they are in. Independent self-construal person views oneself separate or unique from others. Interdependent self-construal person seeks a bond or fitting in with others. Those individuals who have high levels of independence and interdependence self-construals at the same time are considered biconstrual - unique and intertwined with others. Ambivalent self-construal persons have low levels of inde- and inter- dependence at the same time.

I find it interesting and applicable that there could be a combination of independent and interdependent self-construals. I don't know if there is a terminology for high inde- and low inter- dependence. For me, I feel that I am in between two selves...one that wants to be unique from others and one that wants to fit in with others. In a conflict at work, I would want to be the strong person to defend myself fearlessly, but on the other hand, I have the need to be a team player and not to stir the pot too much. I feel this is when primary goal (fight for oneself) and secondary goal (protect job security) comes into play. We need to pick our battle sometimes, despite our self-construals. We may want to think outside of our culture, ethnicity, and sex sometimes...but corporate culture sometimes has bureaucracy, favortism, job security issues, and etc. that we need to think of. Many a times interpersonal and organizational communications go hand in hand. For this reason, I find that our work and interpersonal worlds are becoming more complex and intertwined...and on this topic, I say to keep the worlds as separate as possible...don't be friends with co-workers, watch over yourself...friends (who are also co-workers) can become enemies inevitably and in due course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello,


I believe that culture and conflict is unavoidable because we live in a society that is so diverse that at some point every one is going to encounter situation or person that may cause conflict a one point or another. For example, when I moved into the dorms i had a roommate that had a different religion and his beliefs differ from me and it would cause conflict. Like on saturdays he would get up early and go to church and this cause conflict because as we all know it is party night on friday which kept him up late on friday night, which made him mad.....